You can make a difference in a young girl’s life by becoming a mentor in our Girlz Climb On after-school rock climbing program, which runs in San Francisco and Oakland.
WHO CAN APPLY
We are currently seeking female volunteer mentors (age 21 and over) to participate in this unique program. The following qualifications are a PLUS but not necessarily required:
- Coaching, teaching or mentoring experience with adolescents (informal experience with friends and family counts)
- Diversity/anti-oppression training or experience (women of color strongly encouraged to apply)
- Passion for empowering young women (e.g. a desire to share your belief that girls can do anything)
- Climbing/belaying experience (if you have belayed and/or can climb a 5.8 or higher we are already impressed)
Strong candidates without climbing experience will be considered IF they are able to commit to taking a belay class AND practice climbing at the gym a few times prior to the start of the program.
The main criteria for selection is the mentor’s ability to commit to ALL of the dates. The orientations, the outdoor climb and the graduation are mandatory. If you need to miss one date you can let us know in advance.
Spring 2016 Dates
Time: Weekly, 4:00 – 7:15 (Unless otherwise stated) (Girls arrive at 4:30pm, mentors arrive at 4:00pm)
San Francisco – Mission Cliffs – Monday Afternoons
– 2/15, 4-6 pm: Mentor Gym Orientation at Misson Cliffs
– 2/22: Week 1
– 2/29: Week 2
– 3/7: Week 3
– 3/14: Week 4
– 3/21: Week 5
– 3/28: Week 6
– Sunday 4/3, 7:30 am – 6:00 pm; Outdoor Climb @ Castle Rock State Park – Santa Cruz
– 4/4: Week 7
– 4/11: Week 8
– 4/18: Week 9 – Graduation
Oakland – Great Western Power Company – Tuesday Afternoons
– 2/16, 4-6 pm: Mentor Gym Orientation at Great Western Power Company
– 2/23: Week 1
– 3/1: Week 2
– 3/8: Week 3
– 3/15: Week 4
– 3/22: Week 5
– 3/29: Week 6
– 4/5: Week 7
– 4/12: Week 8
– Sunday 4/17, 7:30 am – 6:00 pm; Outdoor Climb @ Castle Rock State Park – Santa Cruz
– 4/19: Week 9 – Graduation
Note: The main criteria for selection is the mentor’s ability to commit to ALL of the dates. The orientations, the outdoor climb and the graduation are mandatory. If you need to miss one date you can let us know in advance.
DESCRIPTION, DATES, & LOCATIONS
For a description of the program, spring/fall dates, and locations, go to Girlz Climb On.
The application fee covers costs associated with the administrative and background check required when working directly with youth. If you cannot afford to pay this fee, please contact us.
There are NO additional fees associated with mentoring if you have your belay card. Gym use, equipment, snacks and training are all provided free of charge. However, if you do not have belay experience you may need to take an “Intro to Climbing” course at the gym. Courses typically cost $30-40 and are offered daily.
HOW TO APPLY
Fill out our online Mentor Application or contact our Volunteer Coordinator for a paper application. Returning mentors interested in mentoring again should fill out our Returning Mentor Application. Applications will be considered 2 – 3 months prior to the program start date.
The program is limited to 10 mentors and 10 girls. Interviews, references and background checks are required. Mentors are accepted on a rolling basis. The programs will fill up – please do not delay in submitting your application.